Like all of you, we’ve been monitoring the evolving situation with the Wuhan Coronavirus – also known as COVID-19 – around the globe and here in North America. Over the past week, we have understandably received many messages from players inquiring as to the status of Weekend #1 on the Championship Darts Circuit scheduled to be held in Ontario from the 20th – 22nd of March.
First and foremost, the health and safety of our players, staff, fans and their families is – and always will be – of paramount importance at Championship Darts Corporation. While our events do not fall under most of the current government-imposed bans on sporting events and gatherings in North America, we must be cognizant of not only the possible health risk but also other critical issues such as the potential interruption of international travel and localized quarantines that governments in the US and Canada may elect to enforce without prior notice.
While we believe the likelihood of infection at a CDC event remains low, prudence dictates that we minimize the risks to our stakeholders and the company by canceling the events in Burlington and Waterdown. This decision was not an easy one to make, but we firmly believe it is the right thing to do for all involved.
There are many questions that must now be answered, including potential rescheduling of the Ontario events, the best course of action on the PDC World Series of Darts qualifiers that were to be held next Friday and how to address the Junior Tour events that were to select the players for Team Canada at the Junior Darts Corporation’s World Cup. Over the past 24 hours, I have been in contact with PDC CEO Matt Porter and have reached out to the JDC’s Steve Brown and Darren Barson. While there is no news to share on any of those fronts at the moment, rest assured that all of us are committed to working together to craft the best possible solutions for the entire CDC player base. Announcements on these items will follow in due course.
As of now, all other CDC events remain on schedule, including Weekend #2 in Chicago in May. We will continue to monitor the situation over the coming weeks and will communicate any changes as necessary. In addition, we will extend our standard registration deadline for Tour Cardholders, implement a flexible cancellation and refund policy for qualifier entrants and work with our host venue on a potential extension of the room block for Weekend #2.
Entry fees for the Ontario PDC and CDC qualifiers will be refunded within the next 10 business days, depending upon the speed at which the financial institutions involved process the requests. Tour Cardholders will receive a separate communication from us next week regarding entries for Weekend #2 and outstanding registration fees for Ontario.